Logo sr
sb Add to bookmarks
In Sydney ——
Our office ——

State/Territory-Sponsored Business Owner (Residence)

On 1 March 2003 a new Business Migration program introduced a two-stage application process. At the first stage business migrants can apply for a provisional visa.

Once granted the provisional visa, business migrants have 4 years within which to satisfy all the requirements of the business skills (residence) visa and qualify for permanent residence.

Applicants applying for any of the business skills visas, be it at the provisional or permanent residence stage, can apply for State/Territory government sponsorship. If such sponsorship is obtained, the requirements are significantly lower than under the un-sponsored categories.

An application for a permanent residence visa can also be made at first instance by high calibre business persons, under the Business Talent visa category. That is, the Business Talent visa does not require that you first have a provisional visa.

State/Territory-Sponsored Business Owner (Residence)

To make an application for the State Territory Sponsored Business Owner (Residence) visa, you will need to show that you:

  • are sponsored by a state or territory government;
  • hold any of the Business Skills (Provisional) visas or a Temporary Business (Long Stay) Independent Executive visa;
  • have an ownership interest in one or more actively operating main business(es) for at least 2 years;
  • be involved in strategic management of the business;
  • have established:
  • Х substantial net assets in business ($A75,000) or
  • Х have substantial net business and personal assets ($A250,000) or
  • Х employ at least 1 Australian citizen or permanent resident;
  • employee who is not a family member
    (you must meet 2 out of these 3 points unless you are able to provide waiver from sponsoring state/territory);
  • have achieved a significant annual turnover in your business ($A200,000 in the last 12 months);
  • have no history of unacceptable business activities; and
  • have been in Australia as the holder of a qualifying visa for at least 1 year in the last 2 years.
Online consultation
For all questions concerning immigrations you may consult to our specialist     
Express assessment
Find out your chances to immigrate to Australia via Independent, Business or Student visa     
View or create your own ASPC Timeline